The health of the Great Lakes and its watershed will be the focal point of series of meetings taking place throughout the month of March.
The International Joint Commission, which advises the U.S. and Canada on issues concerning the Great Lakes, has announced the dates and times for six public meetings across the region.
"We’re going to be listening to local concerns that are particular to that area," said Lana Pollack, chairperson for the IJC’s U.S. section,. "But it will also be interesting to see how much these different areas have in common."
In January, the organization released a draft assessment outlining several broad concerns about the health of the Great Lakes.
In addition to addressing some of the key findings on that draft report, the public meetings will allow the community to come together and let the IJC know what issues are important to them, Pollack said.
The meetings, scheduled for Detroit, Buffalo and four other cities within the Great Lakes basin, will tackle topics specific to each city and their surrounding regions.
IJC public meeting schedule
Ontario and Michigan public meeting
- March 2
- 6 p.m.
- Delta Hotels by Marriott, 208 St. Mary’s River Drive, Sault Ste. Marie, Ont.
Detroit, Mich., and Windsor, Ont., roundtable and public meeting
- March 21
- Roundtable discussion from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. public meeting at 6 p.m.
- Michigan Department of Natural Resources Adventure Center, 1801 Atwater, Detroit
Sarnia, Ont., and Port Huron, Mich., public roundtable
- March 22
- 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Lochiel Kiwanis Community Centre, 180 North College Ave., Sarnia, Ont.
Toledo, Ohio, public meeting, University of Toledo
- March 23
- 6 p.m.
- Lake Erie Center, 6200 Bay Shore Road, Oregon, Ohio
Buffalo, N.Y., roundtable and public meeting
- March 28
- Roundtable discussion from 1:30 p.m.– 4:30 p.m. , public meeting at 6:00 pm
- WNED-WBFO Studio, 140 Lower Terrace, Buffalo, N.Y.
St. Catharines, Ont., and Niagara Falls public roundtable
- March 29
- 1:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Alumni Hall, St. Catharines Rowing Club, Henley Island, 600 Ontario Street, St. Catharines, Ont.